Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What is Real and What is Harmful


Ben refuses to read anything except the Bible, game screens on the computer, and books about ghosts, dragons, monsters, and vampires. He believes that though he has never seen any of these beings, it is possible that they exist somewhere in the world. Ben's Behavioral Therapist is concerned that Ben does not have a good grasp on reality due to his beliefs. Our family M.D. today told Ben that she doesn't believe monsters and vampires (etc.) are real and that she doesn't think he should spend much time learning about them.

I do not believe these things are real, however ... I do believe in deep dark recesses of my mind there is a seed of doubt. That seed of doubt allows me to read (and watch) science fiction and horror books (and movies) and be afraid. If there is not a seed of doubt in your mind how can you enjoy scary stuff?

Ben is not afraid of monsters, etc. He's reading The Practical Guide to Monsters. It records all the folk tales about monsters such as griffins. The author has gathered all the information that could be found and has presented it in a non-fiction form. The reader can presume that he is fully equipped with all the information he needs to protect himself against monsters. Ben REALLY is not anxious about vampires, dragons, or monsters. He feels that he is armed with facts that can be used to protect himself should he ever encounter one of these monsters. I see no harm in this. I think is a good thing that Ben's autism keeps him from saying he does not believe in monsters while having that seed of doubt inside his mind. I believe most of us do have that seed of doubt. I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe in demons and I believe that demons use ghost tricks to control people. Luckily some of the ghost reality shows on these days share my view and come right out and say it!

I don't think Ben has an unusual or unhealthy belief in monsters. I think Ben is not "normal" because he admits he has his doubts and insists that he wants to keep those doubts because, like most 9-year-old kids, he loves to be scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment